Monday, November 29, 2010

Karma: A Story of Honesty

I would like to share a short story that involves the concept of karma (though, those who do not believe in such ideas might call it ‘coincidence’). In either way, I hope it will be a pleasant and maybe even an inspiring read!

This story took place in Washington D.C., during a family vacation in the summer of 2010. I was on my way back from the National Mall to our hotel in Georgetown, when I stumbled upon a Thai restaurant. Since Thai food is one of my favorites, I decided to stop by and bring some back. Once I paid for my order, however, I noticed that the cashier gave me a dollar more, which of course, I gave back right away. The cashier then thanked my honesty, and I thought the story would end there. But it did not.

On the way back to the hotel, while riding the DC Circulator bus, my wallet slipped out of my pocket, which of course, I did not notice until it was already too late. Nevertheless, even though I knew my wallet was pretty much already gone, I did not just want to give up. So, I called both the restaurant and the bus company’s customer service, but I was turned down at both places; no one seemed to find my wallet.

About ten minutes later, however, my cell began to ring. On the other end, a DC Circulator customer service representative informed me that one of their bus drivers found my wallet and that I could pick it up at the station! Needless to say, I felt as if a huge weight was lifted from my chest.

Long story short, I was soon reunited with my lost wallet, all my belongings and money untouched. What really shocked me, however, was not the small miracle that just happened to me but the driver’s attitude. He would not accept the reward I offered him, simply shook my hand and said:

“Take better care of your stuff,” then walked away.

What is the lesson here? I do not know; maybe there is no lesson. But it is sure nice to know that not everyone is a greedy crook out there, and that genuinely nice people still exist.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment